Thursday, April 21, 2022

Influential Photo, Tulis


This photo named "the Hooded Man," was taken by Ivan Frederick, a U.S Army staff sergeant. The facility where this was taken was a U.S. suspect detention center. Under the name of democracy, suspects were gruesomely tortured. Ivan Frederick was someone who tortured suspects, and it was actually common for soldiers to take pictures of the tortures. The reason this picture was so popular was because it was okay to put in news media, as other pictures were more graphic and could not be shown on the news.

The reason this photo is influential to me is because it was taken in 2003, the year I was born. I have always been on the stance of "no war," and I believe that torturing humans dehumanizes them. This picture really spoke to me, because all of his senses are unable to use. He cannot see, he cannot hear, he cannot taste, smell, or even touch (he is wired up). He is also holding the position of Jesus Christ, in a kind of stance like Christ on the cross. The irony, the pain, and the overall tone of the image really resonates with my stance on war, like the war in Ukraine.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment